Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests

It’s been awhile since my last post. Recently, there have been many conferences and meetups I had pleasure to spoke at. Making presentations, carrying out research, readings, conducting reviews, etc., everything takes time. I need to admit that I like each part of this process, because I always learn something new. Even if I’m reading the same materials, blogs, books, even if I’m thinking once again about the same topic, I always find some things I didn’t noticed before.


When I prepare myself, I often come back to the books I once read. I look at them to refresh my knowledge, to remind myself of what was forgotten. From time to time it motivates me to read the book once again.
During recent preparation I was browsing pages of the Growing Object-Oriented Software. And after reading a few pages I realized that I didn’t read this book yet! One of the most classic programming books and I have built my opinion about it based on opinions of other people.
There could be only one decision - read it. Read it as soon as possible.
A few days later I had to admit that book was definitely worth reading.


Contrary to such classic positions like Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code or Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software, to list only a few, this book is not a compendium of knowledge with the list of definitions of patterns with examples. No, the authors gives you a story. A story with characters. A story with a plot, with changes, with action.


They are building the application, they are starting from something simple and step by step, part by part, they present values behind Test-Driven Development and Refactoring. It is really great that someone put so much effort into writing the book in this way. It completely removes the abyss between theory and real life. It is a direct proof that values that you are reading and hearing a lot are not with us because some guys had an idea to share. Each chapter is another evidence that TDD really works and it really makes your life easier.


What’s the conclusion? Don’t hesitate and read this book if you haven't done it already.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment